Chelsea midfielder N’Golo Kante is back in the squad for Tuesday’s Champions League Group H game with Ajax.
Kante, 28, has made just five starts in an injury-hit season, most recently suffering a groin problem.
“We’ve been able to get some work into him, he’s in the squad and he’s available,” said manager Frank Lampard.
Midfielder Ross Barkley (ankle) and defender Andreas Christensen (thigh) are also in training after injury lay-offs last month.
Victory at Stamford Bridge would see Chelsea go three points clear of Ajax in Group H and put them in a strong position to progress to the quarter-finals, with games against Valencia and Lille remaining.
“I said at the start that this group would be tight because all the teams could take points off each other. That has been proved to be correct,” said Lampard.
“After losing the opening game against Valencia, which was disappointing, we have shown a great reaction from that.
“I have to accept it’s expected of Chelsea to go through and that is no disrespect to any other teams. I have said already how hard the group is but it is more about our own expectations.
“That is maybe why we had that reaction. We wanted to prove ourselves, we wanted to go to Ajax and Lille and get results, and we did.
“But we won’t get carried away with ourselves in this group.”
Can Chelsea maintain 100% record against Dutch sides? – the stats
- Ajax have never lost an away Champions League match in England (W1 D3 L0), winning most recently away at Spurs in April 2019. Their last away European Cup defeat on English soil was in April 1980, a 2-0 semi-final defeat against Brian Clough’s Nottingham Forest side.
- Chelsea have a 100%-win record in Champions League matches against Dutch opponents, beating Feyenoord twice in the 1999-2000 season and Ajax this season.
- Ajax have won their last five away Champions League matches – prior to this run, the Dutch side had won just four of their previous 38 away games in the competition (W4 D13 L21).
- Ajax manager Erik ten Hag has managed more away UEFA Champions League games without losing than any other manager (seven games), winning five and drawing two. Only two managers have lost none of their first eight away games in the competition – Louis van Gaal (first 14 games) and Pep Guardiola (first 11 games).
- Chelsea striker Michy Batshuayi has scored one goal every 47 minutes for the Blues in the Champions League (3 goals in 141 minutes) – the best minutes per goal ratio of any Chelsea player in the competition.
- Dusan Tadic has been directly involved in eight of Ajax’s last 14 goals scored in the group stage of the Champions League (five goals, three assists), including six of their last seven away from home (three goals, three assists).
The last ever Argyle pink diamonds have arrived in London.
With the Argyle mine in Western Australia closing, the last 64 gemstones are said to be extremely rare.
Jewellers from across the world will be competing for them at an expected price of £100m.
The most famous pink diamond in the world belongs to the Queen.
The Williamson Pink was given to Her Majesty for her wedding in 1947 – the cut, 23.6-carat round stone was later set in a brooch.
Four people have been charged after a man was stabbed to death in Maidstone.
The 21-year-old London man died in the town centre following a disturbance in the High Street at 03:00 BST on Sunday.
The four, also from London, have been charged with violent disorder and are due before Medway Magistrates’ Court later.
Kent Police said inquiries remained ongoing and anyone with information about the attack should contact the force.
Those charged are: Yussef Abdi Aweys, 19, of Lightfoot Road, Crouch End; Darien Thompson-Cox, 21, of Raleigh Road, Hornsey; Mohamed Abdurahman, 23, of Newland Road, Hornsey and Nathaniel Small, 22, of Boyton Road, Crouch End.
Iran’s judiciary says it has sentenced a British-Iranian woman and an Iranian man to 10 years in prison after convicting them of spying for Israel.
The woman, who was named as Anousheh Ashouri, was also handed a two-year term for illicitly acquiring money.
She and Ali Johari, an Iranian citizen, were accused of passing information to Israel’s Mossad intelligence agency.
The UK Foreign Office said it had been supporting the family of a British-Iranian dual national held in Iran.
“Our embassy in Tehran continues to request consular access,” it added.
“The treatment of all dual nationals detained in Iran is a priority and we raise their cases at the most senior levels. We urge Iran to let them be reunited with their families.”
The Iranian authorities do not recognise dual nationality for Iranian citizens and do not grant consular access for foreign diplomats to visit them in detention.
Iran’s judiciary also confirmed on Tuesday that an Iranian employed by the British Council had lost her appeal against a 10-year sentence for spying.
Aras Amiri, who had been working for the UK cultural organisation in London, was detained in Iran in March 2018.
Last week, Amiri’s fiance told the BBC that she was being used as a “bargaining chip” by Iran’s government. James Tyson said the UK needed to “get on the phone” to Iran and “say this can’t happen”.
He added that Amiri was being held in the same prison as Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, a dual British-Iranian woman sentenced to five years in prison for spying in 2016, and that the two women were “close” and “very supportive of each other”.
Relations between the UK and Iran have been strained in recent weeks by a row over the seizure of two oil tankers.
On 4 July, an Iranian tanker was seized off the coast of Gibraltar with the help of the Royal Marines on suspicion of breaching EU sanctions on Syria.
The vessel was released on 15 August, but Iran is still holding a British-flagged tanker it seized in the Gulf on 19 July for breaking “international maritime rules”.